Having a baby is one of the most joyful experiences of your life. We look forward to helping you raise your child into a healthy and happy adult:
Tips on What to Do Before Your Child’s Birth
Two to Four Months Before Your Child Is Born
- Attend one of our Complimentary New Parent Classes
Both our New Parent Class (couples and grandparents are welcome) and our Daddy Can, Too! classes (for men only) are complimentary. A list of dates and times is included in our Classes & Events section. These classes provide you with important information and an opportunity to ask questions as well as address any concerns that you may have about your new baby. Click here to register for a class.
One to Three Months Before Your Child Is Born
- Schedule a Prenatal Visit
We encourage expectant parents to schedule a complimentary prenatal visit. This visit provides expectant parents an opportunity to meet/interview one of our providers and our staff. It’s also a chance to tour our office, learn about our practice philosophy and how our offices run. To schedule a prenatal consultation, call the office you’re interested in attending (see Locations section) and tell the receptionist you want to “schedule a prenatal appointment”. You can also pre-register your child online here and someone from the office will call you to schedule your prenatal visit.
One to Two Months Before Your Child Is Born
- Install Your Child’s Car Seat
You will not be able to leave the hospital with your newborn without a safely-installed car seat. Please have your child’s car seat installed ahead of time. You don’t want to be caught in the hospital with the seat still wrapped in its box. We also have car seat safety inspections at many of our offices. Please see our Classes & Events section for our calendar of dates.
Two Weeks to One Month Before Your Child is Born
- Register at the Hospital
Pediatric Associates providers are on staff at most of the area’s major hospitals (see hospital affiliations list below). When you register at the hospital, please let them know the name of the pediatrician you selected from our group or if you’re unsure, just say “Pediatric Associates” so that your baby will be seen by one of our providers.
- If for any reason, you did not register your child with us when you were admitted to the hospital, but would like your child to be seen by one our providers, just call our office and let us know you are in the hospital and that your baby was born.
- Your child’s pediatrician or one of his/her colleagues will visit your child each morning that you’re in the hospital and keep you posted on their progress. You will be discharged by your obstetrician, but your child will have to be discharged by our pediatrician before you can both leave the hospital.
- When Your Child is Born
Please call the Pediatric Associates office you have selected to schedule your child’s first appointment, which typically is 1 to 2 days after birth. (See our FAQs page in our Forms and Policies section on more information on visits).
- Add your newborn to your insurance. Most insurance plans require newborns to be added within 30 days of their date of birth. Please contact your employer’s Human Resources Department or your Insurance plan as soon as possible. If your plan requires you to select a primary care physician make sure to select any Pediatric Associates provider, which will allow you to be seen at any of our offices.
Our physicians are on staff –and many hold board positions—at most of the major hospitals surrounding our neighborhood locations. These include: